Dairy- and Soy-Free Lemon ice-cream (NOT sorbet/sherbet)
submitted by marina
This recipe comes from my favorite veg cook book, "1000 Vegetarian Recipes From Around the World". It has been modified to be vegan, and amazingly, it has been a huge success among our friends and relatives (both omni and veg) who can't believe it's non-dairy, and 100% soy-free. Never mind that, save for one, none of us like lemon sorbet, yet we all loved this ice-cream!
2/3 cup jasmine rice
400 ml/16 oz Darifree or Original Rice Milk (the Darifree is creamier)
7 tbsp powdered cane sugar
3 tbsp maple syrup (or honey if you're not vegan)
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
175 g/6 oz lemon curd (if you can not find the vegan kind at the store, make your own)
2 1/4 cups coconut milk (REGULAR not fat-free) <-- very important
1 tbsp lemon zest
- Put the Darifree or rice milk in a pan along with the rice and cook until the rice is done.
- Remove from heat and add the sugar, maple syrup, lemon and vanilla extracts. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, bet the lemon curd with 1/2 cup of coconut milk until well blended.
- Add this mixture to the rice mixture, pour everything in a blender, beat until smooth, then set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions.
- If you do not have an ice cream maker, don't fret, place the mixture into an airtight container, place the container in the back of your freezer and take it out every hour to mix the frozen stuff with the liquid part in the middle.
- With or without an ice cream maker, the ice cream will take about 5 hours to freeze. You most likely will not need to stir it after the third hour.
Place your favorite cookies on the bottom of a bowl, pour Darifree or rice milk on top just enough to soak them well, and two scoops of ice cream on top. Sprinkle fresh strawberries on top of it all.
It also goes very well on top of apple pie or apple strudel.